“Substance Abuse Professional” is a licensed physician (Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathy), or a licensed or certified psychologist, social worker, employee assistance professional (EAP), addiction counselor (certified by the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors Certification Commission), or marriage and family counselor. This professional must: be knowledgeable of and experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of alcohol and controlled substances related disorders; be knowledgeable about the SAP function as it relates to employer interests in safety-sensitive duties per 49 CFR 40 for the federally-regulated agency regulations applicable to the employers for whom they evaluate employees; be knowledgeable of the DOT SAP Guidelines; receive qualification training on seven key, defined areas by a qualified trainer; satisfactorily complete an examination administered by a nationally-recognized professional or training organization; and satisfactorily complete at least 12 professional development hours of continuing education every three years.

Posted in: Drug and Alcohol Testing Definitions